ABOUT OUR SCHOOL-AGE PROGRAMS
AYS is the best way for all kids to learn, grow, have fun, and stay safe in the environment parents already trust: at your school. Our programs create safe and caring environments that provide a balance of academic and social development through a variety of choice-directed and staff-directed activities. Choice-directed activities are easily accessible and include table games, learning stations and craft time. Staff-directed activities require direct instruction and supervision and are related to AYS core curriculum components and standards.
All AYS programs focus on four core components when developing activities- literacy, math, health and social development. In addition, each month, all AYS programs are required to plan and facilitate a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) Week. This curriculum is focused on STEAM projects to instill an interest and foster engagement in the STEM fields and help the children develop an appreciation and knowledge of visual and performing arts. AYS curriculum is amalgamated from nationally and internationally respected institutions and museums. These sources align with state, national or international standards. Curriculum workshops are held each month to assist program directors and staff. Additional workshops are offered through the AYS Professional Development Center.
Schedules vary by program site, but a typical day at AYS might look like:
- Dismissal bell rings and school is out!
- AYS students walk down the hall to their classroom where they are greeted by AYS staff and attendance is recorded.
- Wash hands and have a snack while catching up with friends.
- Time for homework, reading or rest time.
- Physical activity: we love to play! Weather permitting, we’ll head outdoors or play in the gym. Sometimes we do both!
- Enrichment activity: we provide educational activity options based on IN Academic State Standards, as well as board games and social activities.
- More physical activity before parents arrive to sign their children out for the day.
…all in a warm and social environment that promotes community building by a team of trained and dedicated staff. Word-of-mouth spreads quickly among students and parents and we have many programs that go on a wait list due to demand! We love watching children grow up in our AYS programs and often have students later return to volunteer and even work!