Diversity – Equity – Inclusion
AYS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
from Board Leaders and AYS President and CEO
Around the country, communities are faced with the harsh reality that civil injustice and systemic racism continue to impact our society. The workforce, the nation, and the world are demanding change. Now, is the time to do better, to be better, and to act. For some of us, it’s long overdue.
AYS seeks to enrich the learning and well-being of children in our community by providing a safe, caring and fun environment outside of the school day. As ambassadors of AYS, we have a unique responsibility to create a safe community in which diversity, equity and inclusion are ingrained into the guiding principles.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is not a standalone initiative; it is an intentional part of our organization. We are committed to building and supporting an inclusive team of diverse individuals through intentional hiring, placement and ongoing training. At AYS, we are continuing to further weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of our organization.
To honor this commitment, the AYS Board of Directors has appointed a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council. which is working with an outside consultant to conduct a culture audit and develop a Comprehensive Action Plan and Key Performance Indicators. We are mindful that this a living mission; one from which we will continue to refine, learn, and grow.
The DEI Council will:
- Operate under a Charter that will guide its ongoing work to ensure that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are integrated components of the organization
- In conjunction with strategic planning, review and provide feedback to the board on AYS’ Mission, Vision, Values, and strategy
- Develop and recommend an updated Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement to the AYS Board of Directors
- Review, assess, and make recommendations on AYS’ hiring, training, and programming practices
- Recommend an action plan to AYS Board of Directors that addresses key findings from the assessment, including Key Performance Indicators
- Conduct ongoing evaluations and adjust plan accordingly based on the feedback from community, clients, partners, and staff
AYS Incoming Board Chair
AYS President and CEO