Diversity – Equity – Inclusion
AYS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
from Board Leaders and AYS President and CEO
Around the country, communities are faced with the harsh reality that civil injustice and systemic racism continue to impact our society. The workforce, the nation, and the world are demanding change. Now, is the time to do better, to be better, and to act. For some of us, it’s long overdue.
AYS seeks to enrich the learning and well-being of children in our community by providing a safe, caring and fun environment outside of the school day. As ambassadors of AYS, we have a unique responsibility to create a safe community in which diversity, equity and inclusion are ingrained into the guiding principles.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not a standalone initiative; it is an intentional part of our organization. We are committed to building and supporting an inclusive team of diverse individuals through intentional hiring, placement and on-going training. At AYS, we are continuing to further weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of our organization.
To honor this commitment, the AYS Board of Directors will establish and approve a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement, Council and Strategy by December 31, 2020 and a Comprehensive Action Plan and Key Performance Indicators by May 19, 2021. We are mindful that this a living mission; one from which we will continue to refine, learn and grow.
The AYS Board of Directors will:
- Establish a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Council comprised of diverse and inclusive individuals representing key stakeholders within the organization and community
- Review, update and approve AYS’s Mission, Vision and Values Statements with input from the AYS DEI Council
- Ensure the Development of a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement, Strategy and Key Performance Indicators
The DEI Council will:
- Develop a Charter to guide its ongoing work to ensure that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are integrated components of the organization
- Review and provide feedback to the board on AYS’s Mission, Vision and Values Statements
- Review, assess and make recommendations on AYS’s hiring, training, and programming practices
- Develop and recommend a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement to the AYS Board of Directors
- Recommend an action plan to AYS Board of Directors that addresses key findings from the assessment, including Key Performance Indicators
- Conduct ongoing evaluations and adjust plan accordingly based on the feedback from community, clients, partners and staff
Dr. Vickie Davis
AYS Outgoing Board Chair
AYS Incoming Board Chair
AYS President and CEO